Monday, September 1, 2014

What I love | Life

So I've been dancing and playing the piano for about a decade of my life now. Ever since I was a little girl, that was always my thing. And I thought I could actually pursue it in the future as a career at one point of life. But a few years ago, I fell. I fell out of everything. And my passion for dance, music, writing, taking photos, all of that just died. I was also one of those people who did things to make other's proud of me. Thus, I always felt like I wasn't good enough at it. That I was completely rubbish at it and it was a complete total waste of time. And maybe I was rubbish at it. Maybe a decade of dancing and playing the piano was a total waste. But sitting here and going through old pictures, I have never felt happier than when I danced for me and not to please others. Dancing was my escape and there was a point of time when I just danced for myself, and that was the best feeling in the world. Because I had nobody to please. Because the only person who needed to care about what I was doing was me. But not long after that, I became the judgmental one. I was the one who tore myself down based on the critiques of others. And that wasn't healthy. If I could go back in time and shut those voices off, I would still be dancing and playing the piano and I'd be good at it. I'm not entirely blaming the one who tore me down. I'm blaming the one who listened and let it get to me : me. But nevertheless, that was once upon a time ago. And what I'm trying to convey is that if you love something and it makes you happy, do it. Because a few years after I stopped dancing and quit piano, I didn't know who I was. It was like losing a limb and not knowing how you're going to function without it because it was important, it made me whole, it made me who I was. It made Zoe Loh, who she was. So if you love it, whatever that you're doing and if everyone else is telling you to drop it and you're not good at it, trust me when I tell you that you are. You are good at it and you are capable of doing more all because it makes you happy and its something that you love. And that is all that matters. Feel content that you have something you love to do, and you're good at it. Feel good about yourself because you have it. It's true what they say about how nobody can take away the things you love doing except for yourself. It's true. People can say what they want about you, cut off your sponsors for classes, etc. But the only person who can truly take that away from you is yourself. Don't be like me. Don't take it away from yourself. Don't convince yourself that you can't do it. Don't say you're not talented enough, don't make excuses for yourself to not do the things you love. Don't do something you love and have it tear you down just because you think you're not good enough. Everyone is good enough at what they want to do. So don't tear yourself down and beat yourself up and let others define you. Don't. It's not worth it. The regret afterwards is not worth it. So if you're waiting for a sign, if you're unsure of what you want to do or if you should do it, here's your cue. Go. It's possible. Don't give up like I did. :) 


Here's a walk down memory lane for you guys. 



Right after my first performance, 8-10 years ago. I was the happiest girl alive.


Consecutive performances in school. I wouldn't say I was the best, but I was glad I did it. 










Every dancer would have their shoe collection. There was more than this. 








Don't let go of your dreams, it's worth holding on to



Zoe


No comments:

Post a Comment